“Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms.” 1 Peter 4:10

Friday, December 3, 2010

Clothe yourselves

I've realized that lately I'm spending more and more time standing in front of my closet deciding what to wear. This is the result of not bringing a lot of clothes when we moved here, many of them are now really stretched out and/or faded from hanging on the clothesline, and only buying a few new-to-me tops from a market since we've arrived.

As I read this verse the other day, "Therefore, as God's chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience" Colossians 3:12, I got to thinking about the process of clothing myself. How does the time I spend choosing clothes for the day (especially when I go to Tumaini) - what matches, what is appropriate for my plans for the day, what is appropriate for the weather, etc. - compare with the time I spend clothing myself according to Colossians 3:12?

How much time do I spend putting on compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience, and if I do put them on, how long before I either change them or forget that I am "wearing" them? How do I present them to others (do they match and are they appropriate), and how do they come across to others? Do I "wear" them for everyone, just for certain people or when I feel I should or have to? As I consider each item, which do I neglect to put on or which do I change for each "event"?

On examining these, I observe that, while they all have definitely been "worn", patience and kindness are not showing as much "wear". I have come to realize that the times I am usually without these items is while driving, when people unexpectedly come to my gate (often while I'm trying to get something done), and when I am tired or frustrated! I am of equal opportunity, so while Robb and even Micah may experience me without these, others are not exempt!

I am one of God's chosen, holy and dearly loved! Hallelujah!!! However, I am His chosen one, holy and dearly loved ONLY by and through the sacrifice of Jesus! Does how I present myself to others outwardly not pale in comparison to how I should present myself to others inwardly?

Compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience. Are these not attributes of Jesus? Therefore, I must clothe myself with Jesus every day!! Thankfully, I know that the next time I stand in front of my closet deciding which clothes to wear, I will first clothe myself with Jesus, and try my hardest never to remove Him!

No comments:

Post a Comment