“Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms.” 1 Peter 4:10

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Sacrifices and 500 More Shillings

After publishing my last post I continued to think about what I had shared and what it all means. Incidentally, Margaret called me again a little while ago saying she got the money we sent for half of her fare (another missionary family sent the other half), and asked if we will send 500 more shillings so she can leave her kids with money for food while she's gone.
I have to confess that there was a part of me that felt a bit frustrated. She "borrowed" 2,000/- a few months ago before she went back upcountry, asked for 1,000/- last month to give to the hospital (we sent her 2,000/-), and then this week she had asked for the money for her fare to come back to Nairobi. Needless to say, I quietly asked myself, "Am I a sucker being taken advantage of?"
I really like Margaret! Prior to her requests above, she had not asked for money from us the whole time we've known her. We've had some wonderful conversations about God and His sovereignty and goodness while sitting on the ground in our carport while she filleted fish. She loves loves loves Micah, and is always so touched when he sits and visits also. And she called me to ask for prayer not money when she lost her baby a couple of months ago.
I do believe that if she asks for money then she must need it. She has 5 or 6 kids, one of which she took in years ago when she learned that he didn't have a home. She spends several months at a time away from home selling fish here in Nairobi so she can provide for her family. (She has a husband but I'm not sure what he does.) That is a huge sacrifice!
Interestingly, sacrifice is exactly what I was contemplating after publishing my last post before she called. Considering the ultimate sacrifice Jesus made for everyone, we, as His followers, are certainly called to make sacrifices of our own. I believe that as each relationship with Jesus is different (and therefore personal) so too are sacrifices different for each believer.
Although I have not sacrificed by leaving my husband and son as Margaret has, leaving my family and good friends in San Diego has been a sacrifice for me. Although I have not sacrificed conveniences such as electricity and water as some missionaries have by living in the bush, inconsistent power and not having clean city water every day (water is turned off Tuesday through Thursday but we have tanks) has been a bit of a sacrifice.
I could list many other "sacrifices" however they are all bearable. When I look at the big picture, when I look at the different sacrifices that are made every day by everyone, when I consider that God is all knowing, I have to ask myself, "What is 500 more shillings?"

No comments:

Post a Comment