“Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms.” 1 Peter 4:10

Thursday, December 10, 2009

Traffic

Greetings! It's been a while, my apologies for you few faithful ones who check our blog! The internet is so slow at night (I sometimes cannot even get connected) and night is when I usually have the time to post.

Anyway, today I got to experience true Nairobi driving. I wanted to learn the way to Amani ya Juu so that I can drive there myself. I have been there a few times but it had been awhile and getting there is not a direct shot! Amani ya Juu is a place where marginalized women from all over Africa come take part in a sewing-marketing-training project. It has a shop to purchase their handmade products, a small cafe, a nice garden area with tables, and a small wooden play structure for the kids!

I followed Ginna, a missionary friend in my complex, as best I could. The traffic was probably the worst I've seen so far! You really need to drive assertively or you will not get anywhere. If you allow a car to go in front of you the cars behind it will all go following each other closely, preventing you from moving.

Unfortunately, when we finally arrived at Amani we found out that they are closed until the 12th. I have learned to be flexible! We decided to go to Westgate, a large mall with an indoor play area. After another white-knuckled drive of cars coming from every which way, people crossing wherever they please, and losing sight of Ginna (thankfully, I made a correct turn and recognized where I was!), we arrived at the mall, one hour after leaving home! As relieved as I was to have made it, I couldn't help but think that I still had to drive back home!

It certainly was not as relaxing and peaceful for me and Ginna as sitting in the garden at Amani, but Micah and Liam, Ginna's son, had a great time bouncing in the Spider Man jumper, riding a couple of "rides", and playing in the small structure. Maybe I'll attempt Amani on my own next week??!!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go! I can't imagine driving in Kampala let alone Nairobi. You are so brave!!! Have a merry Christmas! love, Jill

    ReplyDelete