“Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms.” 1 Peter 4:10

Saturday, March 6, 2010

BLESSINGS IN INTERRUPTIONS

We all receive them, usually unwillingly and begrudgingly. I receive so many more interruptions here than I ever did in the states, and I have to admit that sometimes these interruptions are met with frustration. Everything already takes so much longer here...The amazing thing about these interruptions though, is that I am so often blessed by them!

There are several dukas (or shops) just outside our front gate. I usually only shop at them when I need something I have run out of. As I've mentioned before, relationships are big here, which means I cannot just run in, grab what I need, pay and run out (which is usually what I want to do since I'm usually in a hurry!) The owner of the walk-in duka (as opposed to the walk-up dukas) is John. He is an older man and loves to chat. He always has questions about me, my family, America, etc., which means I've developed a relationship with him.

The tube in one of Micah's bike tires got a hole in it (definitely not a surprise considering the roads!) There are bike repair "fundis" (fundi: craftsman) everywhere along the roads, but considering my nationality I knew I would not get a fair price for such a simple repair. I decided to ask John how much it would typically cost for a tube repair. He knew I would not get a fair price so he offered to take Micah's bike to the bike repair fundi he uses and said he'd have it back the next day. It cost only 150/- (about $2), a price I never would have gotten!

Another blessing from these "relationship interruptions" is trust! While at John's duka the other day I decided to buy our gate guards sodas (and a few for Robb). I did not have any empties with me so rather than charge me the bottle fees John told me to have the guards return the bottles directly to him and to just bring him 3 empties. We're not talking about a whole lot of money here, but it was the fact that I have spent time "chatting" and John knows he can trust me!

Lastly, the other day I was upstairs trying to finish something on the computer. This time of the day is always filled with many interruptions from Micah and his friends coming in and out of the house, tattle-taling, needing water, etc. I had already run downstairs several times to answer taps on our gate (Evans returning a soda bottle, kids asking where Micah is, etc.) Needless to say, I was a bit frustrated when I had to run downstairs again to see who was tapping on our gate this time.

It was Margaret, the woman who sells us fish. She did not have any fish with her, and I had told her the other day that I would not need fish again until the following week. She is someone I have invested time in developing a relationship. Regardless of what I'm doing when she shows up, I have chosen to sit and chat with her while she debones and cleans the fish. She is a very strong Christian, works hard, is honest, trustworthy, very nice, and she just loves Micah. Her family lives up-country while she lives here in Kibera (the slum close by) to make money selling fish.

Margaret has never asked us for anything, though I know she struggles (as do most people here.) I asked her how she was and she began telling me about her struggle to send her son back to school for a term so he can receive a higher score. I guess he has been very distressed about it and so of course, she is distressed about it as well. A couple of other missionaries had already given her some money but she had to use some of it for doctor's bills. She just discovered that she is pregnant! Her youngest is 8, and she had "been closed" following his birth. Margaret is even more distressed about this pregnancy since her husband is currently out of work and her income selling fish is barely enough to provide for them now.

She has very strong faith though. She loves God and knows that He will provide. We decided to give her some money so I asked her to come in. Micah was inside playing with some friends and they were quite loud, but Margaret steps into our livingroom and immediately starts to pray! I could not understand much of it, except for "asante sana Yesu" or "Thank you very much Jesus", several times!

Well, I am also saying "Asante sana Yesu" for allowing me to receive such blessings in my day to day interruptions!

No comments:

Post a Comment