“Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms.” 1 Peter 4:10

Thursday, April 8, 2010

Let's be real...

This is actually about yesterday, which was one of those days! I realized that so many missionary letters and blogs, including mine, are typically positive and fun, as if we are just shiny, happy people all the time! Well, believe it or not I am not shiny and happy all the time, but in fact, often feel dull and unhappy! (I am not sharing this to cause any kind of concern; I have more shiny, happy days than not!)

My flowers above perfectly illustrate my day! They were beautiful and smelled wonderful when I bought them THE DAY BEFORE! The pic above is what they looked like by the next afternoon! Now I know I shouldn't complain, they cost me all of $2.80! However, that is not the point! My day was not horrific, nothing catastrophic happened. Just enough little things to make it a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad day (yes, we have a 4 year old!)

On the way back from driving Micah to school, I played a couple of games of chicken. You see, I just didn't have it in me to tolerate an inpatient, VIP (in his own mind) flashing his lights at me to move over as he is heading toward me in my lane because there is traffic in his lane! I decided I was not going to move over and he would just have to figure out some other selfish plan to get himself to wherever he was in such a hurry to get!

Now this one I'm tired of every day, but yesterday it seemed especially bothersome to me that all of my clothes are stretched out. I could embrace it and convince myself it is because I have lost weight so my clothes no longer fit, however that one doesn't fly when I am looking at sleeves that fall past my hands! Thankfully, I don't wear long sleeve shirts very often.

I went outside to check on Micah and saw Gigi riding Micah's bike, AGAIN!! First, let me provide you with an explanation. It appears to be a cultural thing here that all the kids just share everything, for the most part, until they break. If you are not riding your bike, or playing with your ball, or using your outside toys, it is free game for whoever wants to use them! Most of the kids in our cul-de-sac area have a bike, bought here, and I have seen them one by one break down, get repaired, break down again. We bought Micah's bike from a missionary family who was leaving, and it was bought in the states.

Micah LOVES his bike and rides it every chance he gets. He has learned to ride without training wheels, and is even learning to do tricks (like a scramble, emphasis on the "-ble"). I do not want Micah's bike to get broken, nor do I want to continually bring his bike to be repaired and get shafted on the cost because I am not from here.

Well, considering my dull, unhappy kind of day, when I saw Gigi on Micah's bike I was done being Mrs Nice Guy and yelled at him, in front of all the kids. Now before you start feeling sorry for this kid, let me enlighten you! I have asked MANY times, in my shiny, happy way, that he (and others) please not ride Micah's bike. It is quite obvious that Gigi knows he is not supposed to ride it by the way he quickly jumps off when he sees me. He even goes so far as to tell Micah that he will be Micah's buddy if he can ride his bike! (Gigi is 5 or 6 years old, and Micah thinks he is the greatest thing on earth!) Lastly, Gigi has his own bike!

I absolutely believe that God is sovereign, He is in control of all things, He can do anything! As many of you know, our plan was for me to provide counseling at Tumaini once we got settled in and Micah is in school. Being an intern, I need a CA licensed supervisor to supervise me and sign off on my hours. It has been quite the roller coaster ride trying to figure out how I will receive supervision from across the globe!

I finally have secured a supervisor, and received a discouraging email from her yesterday. We are going back and forth with the Board of Behavioral Science as to whether I am indeed eligible for supervision via videoconferencing. They are not sure if I qualify since I am in a different country, not just a different state! It is not my burden, though I carry the frustration!

I am a missionary living in a city in a third world country, far away from family and friends, and chocolate chips, and good parmesan cheese, and smooth roads, and clothes dryers, and same pricing for everyone, and strong, consistent internet, and good black olives, and, and, and...

Well, I guess that's enough sharing of little things that contributed to my dull, unhappy day yesterday! I am pleased to say that today has been much better, I bought beautiful, healthy lavendar and white field daises (for $1.30), and tomorrow is Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment